Make these sweet little origami hearts to brighten up your house this Valentine’s Day.
Its a classic! Salt dough is so versatile, so cheap and you get so much out of one batch. This is a fun way to bulk out your collection of tree decorations if you don’t have enough.You will need:
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- Biscuit cutters
- Fine piping nozzle or a straw
- Acrylic paint
- Thread or ribbon
What to do:
- Measure out flour and salt and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and water and stir until all the ingredients come together. If necessary add small amounts of water until the dough is soft and pliable.
- Roll out evenly and cut out shapes of your choice with the biscuit cutter (dip it in oil if the dough is sticking to much to the cutter).
- Use the piping nozzle or straw (or anything which will make a small hole) to create a hole to hang your decoration from. Its best to place this somewhere near the top but not too close as to make in vulnerable.
- Bake them in the oven at 100°C until they are completely dried out. I’ve found this takes at least three hours!
- Paint them as you please with acrylic paint (this will help prevent moisture get back into the salt dough).
- When the paint is dry add the thread/ribbon to hang them by.
I recently came across this idea to rubber stamp salt dough
. I gave it a go and for some reason the rubber stamps weren’t working well for me but I also have some wooden printing blocks which I had a go with and looked just wonderful.
I fell in love with this tutorial for a ring of colourful little gnomes and within 24 hours of finding it I had completed my own Christmassy ring of little elves.
I made mine entirely with things I had in which was incredibly satisfying. I adapted it slightly according to what I had ( I didn’t have any pipe cleaners but I found a bit of jewellery wire but I think the pipe cleaner must make a firmer base. I also felted some beads, just because I happened to have some felting wool and didn’t have little wooden beads).
I also added blanket stitch, hair and tassels just because I felt like it, they are beautiful without it.